Home Forums Pub General Discussion KOF and Street Fighter..

This topic contains 22 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Pimpalicious Pimpalicious 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

hatsunemiku598
    hatsunemiku598
    Level 17
    Wisecracking Telecommunications Officer
    CGR XP: 1113

Which do you think is better?

svenbtb
    svenbtb
    Level 17
    CGR XP: 1089

Can I cheat and say I like CvS2 the best?

No but really, I don’t know if i’d say one is better than the other – they both kinda do their own thing. Street Fighter is more well known and more iconic – and it’s had some pretty amazing games. But KOF is consistently good (mostly), has some awesome character design. Plus I love that KOF is still sticking with hand-drawn 2D characters, they look gorgeous.

@ChannelSeals
    @ChannelSeals
    Level 11
    Swamp Ranger
    CGR XP: 337

I don’t know enough about fighting games, to say which one is better, from a gameplay standpoint. However, KOF seems overwhelming to me. From the outside, looking in of course.

The reason is, because all of the KOF games I’ve seen, have been 3 vs. 3, like each player picks three characters, out of a roster of 30+ it seems.

As a beginner, how to you approach that? SF just seems easier to pick up and play, so it gets points from me, for that.

Segaofmyhouse
    Segaofmyhouse
    Level 19
    Pastry Chef
    CGR XP: 2092

Though I always hear people say KoF is a better series I’ve just never been able to get into them. At least in Street Fighter I’m half decent with Balrog and M. Bison so I’ll choose Street Fighter. My favourite Street Fighter game is Street Fighter 2010 on the NES, not even joking that game is a great title.

leaon79s
    leaon79s
    Level 18
    Genetically Enhanced Vehicle Driver
    CGR XP: 1394

Honestly I was debating with myself whether or not to post this. But since the reason I come here is to sound off on gaming experiences, what the hell.

Frankly I hate the King of Fighters franchise.
    As far as I’m concerned, this is the only good thing about it.
    But while I cannot deny the allure of the imagery, what the franchise represents more than anything is remind me of people who spend all day at the arcade playing it, then go home, f*p, then repeat the next day. I’m sorry but that’s my impression of the people who I remember seeing play it. (no I never spent all day at an arcade, and I don’t play KOF so I’m not one of them)

In all honesty I can’t say Street Fighter is much better, but that at least doesn’t seem so blatantly built around teenage f*p culture. The same could be said for the likes of DOA or Soul Calibur, but KOF was the first. I’m not saying that’s the whole truth, but it is my very deep seated impression.
    I always wondered why SNK went bankrupt for a while back in 2000.
    Maybe it was their punishment…

My apologies in advance for being a bit candid.

Soul of Natsu
    Soul of Natsu
    Level 18
    CGR XP: 1422

Both are great games but I loke KOF more than SF. My favorite is KOF 98 and 2002, awesome times kicking our own butts and doing lots of crazy moves *ahembuttonmashingahem* but it sucked since all those Magic Plus hacks, everyone playing as Rugal and taking it too serious. Then I got KOF2002 Ultimate Match on the xbox360 and loved it. It has even more characters than the original 2002.

Did I mention it has Mai Shiranui too? ;)

@ChannelSeals
    @ChannelSeals
    Level 11
    Swamp Ranger
    CGR XP: 337

Yeah, yeah yeah…..

Mai-boobs-Mai-and-her-boobs. Who cares?

If boobs was all it takes for a game to sell, DOA and KOF would beat COD and GTA. But they don’t…

In fact, in terms of sold copies, I’m pretty sure SF beats them both. So, there you go! Street Fighter sells better, so it is better

Simple.

selaht
    selaht
    Level 16
    Warrior with Bandana
    CGR XP: 854

I prefer street fighter because i’m more familiar with the characters… even when I play kof I use ryo and takuma who are street fighter knock offs

Mr.Atariable
    Mr.Atariable
    Level 9
    Radioactive Waste Soldier
    CGR XP: 243

Tough one but i would say KoF by a very narrow margin.
    I only like the 2D Street Fighters, while all KoF seem more consistent in their style.
    The backgrounds in the KoF series are just jaw dropping.
    Speaking of jaw dropping:

@ Channelseals: in almost all KoF’s you can choose to do a 1v1 battle/tournament.
    My favorite fighting game is Samurai Shodown 2 which just beats the crap out of any Steet Fighter or KoF game.

Truxton4life
    Truxton4life
    Level 20
    Incompetent Evil Commander
    CGR XP: 2415

Street Fighter is the REAL King of Fighters!

killertofu
    killertofu
    Level 7
    Mess That Nobody is Sorry About
    CGR XP: 156

KoF never been able to get into street fighter

Spider Shinobi
    Spider Shinobi
    Level 18
    CGR XP: 1483

I love fighting games, ao I can’t really come in and say one is better than the other without lots of buts.
    If you pick 2 random games from both series, chances are you’ll like KoF more, but if you consider the highest points of each series you’ll have trouble deciding. And I prefer to not go deep into their characteristics because both offer different experiences.

@leaon79s
    I think that really depends on the player. I find most of the girls in those franchises to look boring at best (Mai not so far from that), except for Athena in KoF13, she looks good for an anime girl.

hatsunemiku598
    hatsunemiku598
    Level 17

I used to play some marvel vs capcom…
    tried to pick up KoF back in the day but was never successful….
    Recently, i tried to pick it up again… and i must say…
    The timing to execute special moves seem a lot hard to master than street fighter…

Spider Shinobi
    Spider Shinobi
    Level 18
    CGR XP: 1483

@hatsunemiku598
    There is some assistance in Capcom games in the form of wider frame margins for command inputs and even special move simplifying at times (so you don’t always need to press every single of the buttons correctly in order for every special to work). I don’t know exactly which games have it there, though.

hatsunemiku598
    hatsunemiku598
    Level 17

…. i read some gamefaqs on kof and they sure werent helpful,…
    just a stuff of jargon and acroymns…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.