Home Forums Pub General Discussion Board Games

This topic contains 18 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by CoinOpCosmonaut CoinOpCosmonaut 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Guilion
    Guilion
    Level 19
    Pastry Chef
    CGR XP: 1997

I don’t think I have seen this thread before and I want to have a calm, moderate discussion about board games, not table tops, just simple, fun board games.

Which is why the evil little gnome living inside my head is telling me to start the discussion with the one board game in my collection bound to start a flame war if I were to post it somewhere else.

So, this is Eternal Debt. The Cuban version of Monopoly where you play as a third world country trying to crush the International Monetary Fund (IMF) by buying resources, starting social movements and other fun activities for everyone 10 and up. Please note I lack the imagination to make any of this up.

As interesting as it sounds the game can in fact be pretty boring as it mostly depends on luck with the numbers you roll in the dices, but it certainly is interesting to just look at.

How about you guys is there any board game you wanna talk about?.

Mipaol
    Mipaol
    Level 18
    Genetically Enhanced Vehicle Driver
    CGR XP: 1254

That sounds awesome, I wonder if they make an english version.

I haven’t played board games in ages, but my favorite is Battleship.

Spider Shinobi
    Spider Shinobi
    Level 19
    Pastry Chef
    CGR XP: 1940

I played many of them in my childhood. Unfortunately the one I remember the best is one that played so much I couldn’t stand playing after a while, I don’t even know if I could play it today and have fun.
    So, I can’t remember its name, but it was 1 on 1, each player initially having control over one side of the map on which they put their units with their values (soldier, captain, spy, flag) facing the owning player, and the objective is to capture the other player’s flags, but to do so you need to pay attention to specific unit rules, such as higher ranks never losing to lower ranks, but spies being able to take everyone else if he moves into an enemy despite being the lowest rank, soldiers being able to move several steps ahead, bombs/mines and flags being stationary, only rank 3s being able to defuse mines, stuff like that (I might have just given out all the rules).

Mipaol
    Mipaol
    Level 18
    CGR XP: 1254

Risk?

Spider Shinobi
    Spider Shinobi
    Level 19
    Pastry Chef
    CGR XP: 1940

Nope. This one only has two identical sides. Not much realism involved aside from the bomb and the spy part.

Galigon
    Galigon
    Level 10
    Walking Trash Can Robot
    CGR XP: 303

My favorite board game of all time is Talisman: The Magical Quest Game. It’s a swords & sorcery-type affair where you play one of a large number of RPG-style characters with different attributes and abilities, and draw “Adventure Cards” that represent different types of encounters. You might fight a monster, or find an item, or unleash a storm that affects the other players on the board, etc. You travel throughout different regions, level up, and acquire loot and followers to help you on your quest. You can fight other players if you wish when you land on a space they occupy, but the basic main goal is to gain the “Crown of Command.” Various versions of the game have added many more possible win conditions, however.

The first edition came out in the 80s, and was soon replaced with a much better second edition, which is the first version that I played. Then Games Workshop brought out a third edition that was much more influenced by their Warhammer miniatures game, and while I played that version for a while, it wasn’t as good. Eventually, a fourth edition was released that was much closer to the second edition. The company that published it lost the license, however, but Fantasy Flight picked it up, tweaked it a bit, and have been releasing expansions ever since. Yes, it’s the type of board game that has expansions. Big ones, too, that add additional boards that connect to the main one. It’s also got a digital release.

If you’ve ever watched The Big Bang Theory, incidentally, you will sometimes see them playing this game.

lukefonfabre388
    lukefonfabre388
    Level 17
    Wisecracking Telecommunications Officer
    CGR XP: 1031

there was this one board game i saw at walmart a few times. i believe it was called pacific 1942 or maybe it was 1943. im not completely sure that was the name of it but it looked interesting. i think they wanted like $30 or $40 for it though so i passed, and another reason i passed was because it might be to hard for me to understand what i need to do and how to win and stuff.

but my favorite board game is Lego creator. you try and create Lego’s or something out of the parts you collect while going through the map by rolling the dice. its actually quite fun.

The_Furox
    The_Furox
    Level 17
    Wisecracking Telecommunications Officer
    CGR XP: 1214

Rum Rebellion is based on events that took place during colonial days in New South Wales. It is a surprisingly good game and only took me and my friends 1 hour even though there were six of us. It is good because it isn’t an elimination game (unlike Monopoly) so most of us were in with a chance by the end.

peterstevens
    peterstevens
    Level 14
    Ice Skating Parachute Soldier
    CGR XP: 620

I have a group of friends that I get together with once or twice a month.

Lots of alcohol (and other:) fueled board game fun. We all own different games for the most
    part save for one or two.

Here is a partial list of games in the rotation:

King of Tokyo
    Betrayal at House on the Hill
    Coup
    Sequence
    Shadows Over Camelot
    Forbidden Island
    Pandemic
    Red Dragon Inn
    Smallworld
    Splendor
    Tsuro
    Fluxx

Nothing too complicated save for Betrayal at House on the Hill. Every game there has a play time of under an hour.

And as coincidence would have it tonight is game night:)

player1
    player1
    Level 9
    Radioactive Waste Soldier
    CGR XP: 218

I love Axis & Allies (lukefonfabre388 may be referring to one version of it)– the miniatures game is even better.

killertofu
    killertofu
    Level 8
    Motorcycle Side Car Gunner
    CGR XP: 162

About twice a month my friends and I have a board game night. Betrayal at house on the hill is an excellent game. Also a big fan of the zombie games and their expansions. Risk legacy is fun since the factions and board changes the more you play. King of Tokyo and Ticket to ride are also worth checking out as well as settlers of catan. Around most major cities you can probably find a board game shop with people that can recommend some fun games for any size group. That monopoly game looks interesting but I can not play monopoly anymore… not after the incident.

Balder
    Balder
    Level 16
    Warrior with Bandana
    CGR XP: 930

Twilight Imperium the 3rd with both expansions and Axis and Allies 1940 Global.

Soul of Natsu
    Soul of Natsu
    Level 18
    CGR XP: 1579

King of Tokyo looks fun

whiskeyshivers
    whiskeyshivers
    Level 1
    Nameless Grunt
    CGR XP: 12

If you guys are into classic games and the look of them you should all check out Boss Monster. It’s a 2 to 4 player game were your build a dungeon to lure heroes into it and collect their souls. All the art on the cards are pixelated like old SNES games and they make a lot of references to games like Metroid and Kid Icarus.

svenbtb
    svenbtb
    Level 18
    CGR XP: 1279

Stratego is a fun time. It’s a strategy game where each side sets up their army, but the other player can’t see which pieces you have where, and each piece is numbered 2-10, plus there are bombs and a spy, and different pieces have special attributes. The goal is to capture the enemy flag. It’s only for 2 players but I love it. I also have a special Lord of the Rings version that lets you play using a few other sets of rules, which shakes things up (although classic is the way to play). Risk is fun too but I tend to get bored after the 2 hour mark, or at least need a break. I want to check out one of the special Risks where the board is a crazy shape, like the Halo one or the GoT one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.